Thursday 26 January 2012

Winter in Korea

Wow. Who knew winters in Korea were so cold? Not me. I suppose the main redeeming feature about the weather here is that the endless drizzle and dull grey skies of good old Britannia is gone. Every day is one of those lovely winters days, the only problem being that its about -5C.

January was a ridiculously busy time for us. English winter camps took over our lives for about 3 weeks. I've been teaching full days (the horror!) from 9am until just after 3pm. Still, the class sizes have been good - maybe a max of about 15 kids, some days plummeting down to a lowly 3. This made my job a hell of a lot easier. I've been pretty proud of myself too. I actually formulated a working schedule lasting 17 days around the same topic of 'Around the World'. For once I felt like I was ACTUALLY doing my job well. Below is a picture of a HUGE class of five making some Brazilian carnival masks. Note my excellent scribblings on the board...


For a final project I had them create their own countries. They made flags, passports and maps. My god, some of them were adorable. Country names included 'Tony', 'No Die Land' and the beautifully titled 'Butterfly Cubic Land'. Bless.

Obviously with being so busy recently we've barely travelled. A quick trip to Busan a couple weeks ago was nice. We took in Yonggungsa Temple, which is apparently a rarity in Korea, being by the sea. This made it pretty damn photogenic, although the weather was, as always, painfully cold. We did get shown around by an ex-Buddhist monk though, who explained the paintings and the teachings of Buddhism to us. Funnily enough, he was working a big MIS project in Busan, something I studied (or slept through) during Uni.


Nice place anyway. Apart from that, we've just been mulling around Ulsan for the past few weeks. We're taking ourselves up to Gangwon province this weekend for a little treat though. The place has a bath and everything. Oh, how I've missed one of them. Temperatures of -13C sounds pretty appalling though.

The other day I took this as well. It's one of the sexy love motels in Ulsan, apparently part of a chain. You've got to love the slogans on the side...


100% love, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment